TRCA Neighborhood News TRCA News

Robert Delgado rwdel at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 11 09:01:54 CDT 2009

TRCA Friends & Neighbors:

Hope all is well.

Our Spring Meeting and annual elections took place last week.  The elections results are as follows:

Officers:
President –Robert Delgado
V. President – Gail Turner
Secretary – Lisa Beyer Scanlon
Treasurer – Ryan Donmoyer

Committee Members:
1.                  Jesi Carlson
2.                  John Taylor Chapman
3.                  Michael Cook
4.                  Jay Kennedy
5.                  Nicole Liffrig Molife
6.                  Gretchen Littlefield
7.                  Kevin Posey
8.                  Anthony Saler
9.                  ChadSarchio
10.              Sean Spicer
11.              Paul Stilp
12.              Erin Streeter

Thanks to the nominations committee, Lori Tilman, Patty Donmoyer, and Sandy Wiener, for their fine work in putting together a strong slate and general assistance in a smooth election process.

We also heard from Delegate David Englin and Councilman Rob Krupicka at our Spring Meeting.  They graciously shared their thoughts on our City and Commonwealth economies.  Their presentations were very informative and included updates on the most recent General Assembly session, the revised Virginia budget, Virginia’s smoking ban, the status of potential stimulus package funds, and ongoing efforts to reprioritize and maximize the efficiency of the City’s budget in these challenging times.

Lastly, I am honored and delighted to be addressing you as President of the Taylor Run Citizens Association (TRCA).  In many ways, the evolution of our association mirrors the evolution of our community.  That is, we strive to incrementally improve each year, building on what has preceded us.  An organization formed in 1966, we stand on the shoulders of many.  With that in mind, I would like to thank our Past President, Chad Sarchio, the Executive Committee, and our membership for all their accomplishments the past year, including the park clean-up efforts, the well-attended and entertaining fall party, the revision of the TRCA constitution, and the countless behind the scenes efforts and sacrifices.

The purpose of the TRCA is simple in statement (to promote the interest of the community…), but complex in execution.  The association is a bridge that not only gives the community a voice, but also serves as its ears by keeping the community informed of relevant matters.  It is really about communication.

As part of this overall communication effort, we plan to continue with the aggressive development of our web site.  We recently started a blog that allows the TRCA to post timely and relevant information without overloading email inboxes.  In addition, the blog allows members to post comments and contribute to what we hope is a constructive dialogue.  Please check out the blog at www.taylorrunalexandria.com/blogwhere you can find a short summary of the revisions to the TRCA Constitution, a link to Councilman Krupicka’s FY 2010 Budget Feedback site, Sheriff Lawhorne’s letter addressing speculation regarding the transfer of Guantanamo Bay prisoners to the Alexandria Detention Center, and much more.

In addition, we are considering several updates to our communication structure in the near future, including an updated listserv and polling of issues so that we can make efficient use of our limited resources.

Finally, we urge the community to become actively involved with the TRCA.  In the current economic environment, community associations can play an important role in helping to fill some of the natural voids when budgets for local services are reduced.  One such occasion to support our community is the joint TRCA/CCPCA Earth Day event that takes place at Angel Park on Saturday, April 25th from 9 am to noon.  It really is a great way to help the community and bond with neighbors.  Early bird volunteers will also receive a continental breakfast.  If possible, please attend this important event.

We look forward to serving you this upcoming year and meeting all of you at future events.  As always, please feel free to contact me, or any members of the incoming Executive Committee, at any time with your comments, questions, concerns, or suggestions.

All our best,

Robert W. Delgado
rdelgado at taylorrunalexandria.com