TRCA Neighborhood News: West Nile Virus found in Angel Park

Randy Cole jrcolehound at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 11 09:12:51 CDT 2006

Hello All,

The City of Alexandria informed me that one of the
mosquito traps the placed in Angel Park captured a
mosquito carrying the West Nile Virus (WNV).  As you
are probably aware, West Nile Virus has been active in
the DC area for several years (the first documented
case in Alexandria was in 2000) so it was just a
matter of time before a mosquito living in Angel Park
tested ‘positive’ as a carrier of the virus.

In light of this news:

1.  The city will be canvassing our neighborhood with
information on protecting yourself and eliminating
breeding grounds in your back yard

2.  I’ve asked the city to provide a brief
Presentation of WNV at our fall General Meeting, 20
Sep 7:30pm at the Masonic Memorial

3.  At our Fall Cleanup of Angel Park, we will pay
special attention to potential breeding areas – like
clearing out areas around the many drainage pipes to
prevent pooling water  (We will need your help to do
this!!  So please be ready to volunteer.)

I’ve included links to several web pages from the City
and the VA Department of Health that provide
additional information on how to reduce your exposure
to mosquitoes.

Respectfully,

Randy Cole
President TRCA