[Neighbors] Attn. ETR Residents We Need to Relook at Traffic Calming for ETR

Randy Cole jrcolehound at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 30 10:44:53 CDT 2003

I got a call from Paul DeMaio last week after the
'approved' plan was reviewed by Rich Baier, the City's
Traffic Top Traffic Engineer. Although we thought that
the approved portion of our plan could be the first
phase of our traffic calming plan, Rich wants
us to look again to see if we can come up with a
comprehensive solution.  Rich thinks that the
single speed hump and sidewalk/bulbout that was
approved will be insufficient to calm the traffic
along the entire ETR - especially the folks on the S
end of ETR who will not get any benefit from what was
'approved'. As you probably know families on the south
end of ETR are pushing for traffic calming since they
have children and have had car damage like lost car
mirrors etc. due to speeding cars.

So please discuss with your neighbors what options you
are willing to consider.  They are:

1.  Find other locations along ETR where neighbors are
willing to give up parking for traffic calming speed
humps.

2.  Determine if neighbors along the street can accept
other less effective measures can be applied to ETR
such as Painting Parking lines (makes the street feel
narrower to drivers so they slow) See
http://ci.alexandria.va.us/tes/td/traffic_calming/toolbox.html

Joan Peterson or Jeanne Wapples are your
representatives on the Neighborhood Traffic Calming
committee.  So bring your ideas to them.

Randy Cole