[SDR] from an friend regarding QS1R

Barry Buelow barry.buelow at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 20:28:42 CDT 2011

This from a friend in the Chicago area that I know had been a HPSDR fan
but has gone to QS1R in the past year.
I inquired about QSR1 just to see what he knew.

The web page lists the QS1R for $799 now.  I don't follow the SDR
prices, so I don't know if this has the $200 discount or not.  I'll check.

Barry

Hi Barry, thanks for your kind note.
I will cc: Phil on my email reply so that he has an opportunity
to give you the latest info.

The QS1R is doing better than ever. Phil took almost 9 months of his
life and totally rewrote his software server, software Graphics User
Interface (GUI) and the HDL Firmware for the FPGA chip. His objective
was to remove any confusing copyrights and make it purely his own code
in a computer language base that he could support and extend over the
long term. He selected C++ and Qt. That decision has proven to be a very
wise and high quality Engineering solution. The server and GUI are
available for MAC/Linux/Windows platforms. The other DDC receivers are
limited to Windows only.

The new software is called QS1RServer 4.0.1.0 and SDRMAXIV 4.0.1.0 and
both are in Beta test through out the world right now. Phil even gave
special thought to narrow bandwidth Internet connections and provided a
special "Spectrum Compression" feature in the server that you can turn
on/off as desired.

Sales of the QS1R are continuing and Phil has lots of plans for the
future of the receiver and other add-on devices and modules. He has just
(last week) announced a $200 price REDUCTION for a Dayton special. Now
the QS1R is the top performing DDC receiver on the market -- and at a
lower price than any of the others :-) The QS1R has the widest bandwidth
(2Mhz) for I/Q recording and that feature is very attractive to the
SWL/BC listeners.

I am very eager about the QS1T module to make this a full DDC/DUC
transceiver. I will really enjoy that aspect of SDR. Phil has not
released a delivery date, but has said on his webpage that both the
transmitter (QS1T) and bandpass filter/preamp (RFFE1) are currently
being worked on.
Here are the current links for you to look at:
http://www.srl-llc.com/
http://qs1r.wikispaces.com/

Phil was looking into what method might be useful to carry the system
audio over the Internet or LAN/WAN link. I am looking forward to his
release in the future. Right now the audio comes out both the DAC jack
on the back of the radio, and the local audio system on the Server
computer. That is very flexible, if you use VAC for example. One fellow
in Germany put his receiver online and used "IHU" as his outbound audio
tool.
Well, I sure do wish you fellas a wonderful time at your August forum. I
am just recovering (a week ago) from back surgery and probably won't
make it to any of the Hamfests this year. But I sure will pass along
your URL to my friends here in the Midwest.

thanks again Barry for your kind note. I wish I had more specific info,
but that is all under wraps a proprietary Company info that Phil has not
released yet :-)  I am not an employee of SRL-LLC, just an ENTHUSIASTIC
CHEERLEADER for Phil and his vision of DDC/DUC communications :-)

Please let me know if I can provide any further info or pdf articles
that I wrote last year.

all the best my friend,
73 de Ken N9VV